As promised earlier this week, I have the pleasure to announce a limited number of spaces in particular lanes within particular sessions, available as of today. These spaces are being offered on a strictly first-come, first-served basis and given we have 235 people on our squad wait list, the anticipation is that these spaces will fill immediately.
Going forwards, we will be closely monitoring numbers over the colder winter season and offer additional places as they might become available.
We are also investigating another couple of venues from which to run a 'mirror-version' of the program offered here: http://swimsmooth.com/perth_timetable.html - so if you miss out this time around, please be patient as we may be able to offer something to you soon.
We have been absolutely shocked by the level of building interest in the squad in the last 12-18 months and would like to firstly express sincere thanks to those of you whom have been supporting the program for multiple seasons. As we continue to operate with the PAYG card system as per http://swimsmooth.com/perth_buycard.html (which we believe to be the most flexible and fairest approach for you the swimmer) it is often tricky to monitor exactly how many swimmers will attend a particular session, but we hope to keep this at an average of ~8-10 swimmers per 50m lane...sometimes it will inevitably be a little more, sometimes a little less but hopefully you find that the flexibility of not being charged for sessions you cannot attend (e.g. doctors appointments, sick kids, late from work etc) really makes the program work well for all parties.
OK, so we can offer space in the following sessions in the very short-term...swimmers MUST be within the speed range suggested for the particular lane as we have ascertained these allocations to avoid over-crowding in a particular lane despite the average number of swimmers per lane possibly working out to be 8-10 swimmers. This will allow good management and flow within the lanes and to help keep everyone happy. On that note, these pointers on lane etiquette will ensure everyone works well together as a squad: http://swimsmoothperth.blogspot.com.au/2008/10/lane-etiquette-and-saturday-training.html
IMPORTANT: if you are already swimming with the squad and have been consistently for at least the last 6 months, you do not need to re-apply for your place...its safe! :-)
- Monday 7am (technique session) - 3 places in each of the 3 lanes available (9 total) - speed range for lane 3 = 1:16 to 1:30/100m*, lane 2 = 1:31 to 1:50/100m, lane 3 = 1:50 to 2:20/100m
- Monday 9.30am (technique session) - sorry, no availability
- Tuesday 5.30am (technique / endurance session) - sorry, no availability
- Tuesday 6.30am (technique / endurance session) - sorry, no availability
- Tuesday 6.30pm (technique / endurance session) - 2 places in each of the 3 lanes available (6 total) - speed range for lane 3 = 1:16 to 1:30/100m*, lane 2 = 1:31 to 1:50/100m, lane 3 = 1:50 to 2:20/100m
- Wednesday 5.30am** (long endurance session) - sorry, no availability
- Wednesday 9.30am (threshold development session) - sorry, no availability
- Thursday 6.30pm (threshold development session) - 2 places in each of the 3 lanes available (6 total) - speed range for lane 3 = 1:16 to 1:30/100m*, lane 2 = 1:31 to 1:50/100m, lane 3 = 1:50 to 2:20/100m
- Friday 5.30am (threshold development session) - sorry, no availability
- Friday 6.30am (threshold development session) - sorry, no availability
- Friday 9.30am (technique session) - sorry, no availability
- Saturday 1.00pm (open water skills session in the pool) - 4 places in each of the 3 lanes available (12 total) - speed range for lane 3 = 1:16 to 1:30/100m*, lane 2 = 1:31 to 1:50/100m, lane 3 = 1:50 to 2:20/100m
*these speed ranges relate to CSS (Critical Swim Speed) pace, i.e. the pace which you could maintain for a continuous 1.0 to 1.5km swim as per details on this topic at http://swimsmooth.com/training (this very much forms the basis of how we refer to speed / intensity within the program, so if you're new to the program it is highly recommended that you familiarise yourself with this system)
**all sessions are 60 minutes in length, apart from the Wednesday 5.30am session which is up to 90 minutes
So, if any of these squad times work for you and you are within the speed ranges suggested, please apply simply by return email stating:
a) your full name, email address and mobile contact number
b) which session you want to attend
c) which lane you believe you would be in
...best of luck!
We cannot promise to reply back to every applicant given the sheer volume of people on the wait list, but will publicise the additional squad selections tomorrow (Friday 12th April) at 11am. Anyone unfortunately missing the 'cut' will be kept on the wait list (unless you advise otherwise) and will be notified with a similar selection process again in due course and as space becomes available.
Thanks for your time!
P.S for your reference we are now taking bookings from November 2013 onwards for our 1-2-1 video analysis and stroke correction sessions as per http://swimsmooth.com/perth_videoanalysis.html