Hope you are all well and surviving the rising mercury this afternoon!
As you may or may not be aware, we are starting to do an increasing amount of work with some of the best athletes and coaches in the world over here in sunny Perth, helping them fine-tune their strokes and ensure that they can make the jump to the next level in the swim. As a coach, it's really very exciting indeed!
Currently we have Joel Jameson and his wife Cat over here in Perth training with me for 3 months. Joel recently finished 2nd at the Ironman-distance event in Henley (UK) with a very swift 2h42m marathon off the hilly 180km bike ride - non too shabby! It was one of the fastest marathons in and Iron-distance event this year anywhere in the world. Cat races on the ITU draft-legal circuit and has been the girl in the pink Swim Smooth cap powering up and down the pool lapping even our very fastest swimmers! They've both committed to coming over to Perth for that period, because with a better swim Joel could literally be one of the fastest guys on the Ironman circuit next season - "no pressure Coach Paul!" :-)
Whilst Joel and Cat have been lucky with some fabulous accommodation in South Perth with a friend of Cat's family, this next string of athletes are not quite so lucky and, whilst cheeky, I am hoping that those of you who live relatively close to the Claremont Pool (within say 10 to 15km) and have a spare room to either lease (or even give?) may be interested in helping out with offering some space.
The life as a Pro triathlete is not as glamorous financially as one might presume and whilst I personally 'sponsor' these guys with zero coaching fees, it is of course the travel and accommodation that really hits the pocket of these cash-strapped athletes. Any help and support you might be able to give would be marvellously appreciated and I dare say you'd be rewarded with a fair share of stories of "life as a Pro" for those of you whom might be interested.
Here's our list for the next six months, no doubt it will continue to grow...
- Britta Martin (NZ) - just won Busselton Ironman at the weekend with a brilliantly consistent race, needs accommodation from Tuesday 11th December (tomorrow) until Friday 14th December. 3 nights.
- Coach Fiona Ford (UK) - you met Fiona last year on the Coaches Course. Fiona is also a multiple Age Group winner at Ironman events all around the world and is now one of our 5 Certified Coaches around the world. Fiona needs accommodation from Wednesday 2nd January until Wednesday 9th January 2013. 7 nights.
- Tom Lowe (UK) - 11th place overall finisher at the Kona Ironman World Championships in 2011 and boyfriend to non other than recently retired four-time World Champion Chrissie Wellington. Tom needs accommodation from Monday 7th January 2013 to mid-March 2013 (10 weeks - happy to split with a couple of houses during this period)
- Richard Murray (RSA) - 4th place finisher overall in the ITU World Triathlon Series and serious contender in 2013 to the British Brownlee Brothers - this man can 'jog' 10km in under 30 minutes!! Richard needs accommodation from mid-January 2013 for about 2 weeks.
- Cassie Patten (UK) - 2008 Beijing Olympic Games bronze medallist in the 10km open water swim and soon-to-be Swim Smooth Certified Coach. Cassie needs accommodation from Saturday 9th February 2013 until Thursday 28th February 2013. 3 weeks.
- Coach Andy Lane (UK) - Andy will be our Welsh-based Swim Smooth Certified Coach and has attended our recent 3-day Coaches Education Course in the UK this August and is a truly wonderful guy with a big background in psychology. Andy needs accommodation from Saturday 9th February 2013 until Thursday 28th February 2013. 3 weeks.
- Adam Young (UK) - does this man need an introduction?! My business partner in the online www.swimsmooth.com who will be out in Perth for ~8 weeks in January (dates TBC) to film some new material for British Triathlon and to take a vacation from the cold British weather they're experiencing at the moment. Adam will also be my main support crew for the Rottnest Channel Swim.
I do hope that someone out there is able to help out and I do appreciate your time and consideration of this matter. Please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0431540980 if you can assist, especially re. Britta who will need some assistance tomorrow if possible.