Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Dilemas, dilemas


Hope you are all well and have coped in this heat a little better than I have!! A 40 degree differential in heat between the UK and here in Perth can do funny things to a man!

Anyway, some of you thought I was being a little cryptic last week by holding off until tomorrow to publish our new timetable for the re-opening of the Claremont Pool. I wasn't, and I didn't mean to cause confusion and angst for any of you worrying about whether or not you'll get a spot in your preferred sessions. The issue was that despite having confirmation back in May that we would have the lane space at Claremont Pool as outlined here:

...I found out on Friday last week that this might not be the case. This has been hugely frustrating for me as I'm keen to make the transition back to Claremont as smooth as possible and to also ensure that any changes to the timetable above and beyond what I have been advertising for the last 7 months to you won't stop you from attending the squad sessions. So, here are the two main issues that we're faced with:

  1. If we move back to Claremont we will have to change the Thursday 5.30am and 6.30am sessions to a Friday morning (as they originally were before we left). Many of you have liked the balance in the week that a Tuesday / Thursday combo gives you and I am worried that some of you won't be able to make the Friday mornings with such short notice before next week?
  2. We cannot get more than 3 lanes in any session. At Challenge Stadium we have only officially had 3 lanes booked, but Paul (Head Coach at WAIS) has been very kind to afford us an extra lane from his quota in the last two months as people have started to return after their winter hibernation. Going back down to 3 lanes is going to cause some issues with lane overload and again this is something I want to avoid completely.

...but it's not all bad...

  1. We will be resuming the Monday 7am swim technique session as of 3rd January 2011 (subject to demand, with a minimum of 12 swimmers required).
  2. We will be resuming the Tuesday 6.30pm squad session as of the 4th January 2011 (subject to demand, with a minimum of 14 swimmers required).
  3. We will be resuming the Wednesday 5.30am to 7am squad session as of 8th December 2010.

...I am hoping that these additional sessions will help to balance out the squad numbers in the early 5.30am sessions on a Tuesday / Friday, but won't know this until I officially open the application form tomorrow. This still leaves us with the issue of the switch from Thursday to Friday though...

So the question I would like to ask at this stage is, would the switch from a Thursday to a Friday mean that you would no longer be able to attend? If you can, please don't worry about replying, but if it would throw a spanner in the works for you, then please let me know. I have a couple of ideas which might help out here (namely maintaining some squad sessions at Challenge), but am not fully aware of how keen you all are to move back to Claremont in it's entirety.

If you can reply that'd be great - before 6pm today would be perfect as I need to act fast on these changes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: