Friday, October 9, 2009

The painful road from 12:18 to 9:46 Ironman!




Dear Athletes

Today I'd like to share with you Des Adkinson's race report from the recent Challenge Barcelona event - an Ironman distance event in the picturesque city of Barcelona.

I have been coaching Des since 2007 and is one of the athletes that I coach remotely over in the UK using our sophisticated Training Peaks software platform. To be efficient in this manner, communication is essential and Des is extremely good at keeping me informed with regular updates and uploading his data files from his power meter and polar HRM. Whilst some think this is a little "geeky", it was one of the primary reasons why Des was able to knock off a whopping 2.5hrs off his Ironman P.B to record a brilliant 9:46 at the Ironman event!

At 43 years of age, this will ensure that Des has a very realistic shot at going to Kona next year. It wasn't all "plain sailing" though, and whilst Des's report is a little long, it is incredibly detailed and thought-provoking and might just be the sort of thing you need to read if you're considering an Ironman in the next year or so, or even if you're just interested in the science behind what goes into the programs I write.

I've read many a race report over the years, but I'd suggest that this is easily one of the best I have ever read from an "information to others" perspective in particular.

Thanks Des - we're very proud of you! ;-)


Cheers

Paul







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: