Wow! What a year! Hasn't time flown?! It seems like just yesterday I was concocting the January 10 Week CSS Development program and yet here we are, nearly 12 months on - incredible!
I would like to formally thank each and every one of you for supporting the Swim Smooth Perth Squad over the past 12 months - without you support and commitment I wouldn't have a group to deliver to and effectively be living my dream of teaching and coaching a vast array of people to swim faster, swim with more enjoyment and of course to Swim Smooth!
Now, as you know, back at the start of October, Coach Emma and Coach Alan joined us from the UK for an intensive 2-week Swim Smooth Certification course. At the end of the two week period, Alan had to return home to his family, but Emma chose to stay on and will be with us until the end of February. Her help on pool deck has been truly phenomenal - I dare say I would not have coped by myself with the increase in demand. I'm sure you'll all join me in saying a big "thank you" to Emma on Friday morning at the last squad session of the year!
Emma has compiled this short Bio on herself for your interest and information and to show you what she does over in the UK on beautiful Lake Windemere (pictured above):
Christmas and New Year Training Hours:
As a reminder, the last sessions of 2012 will be on Friday 21st December - all three squads (5.35am, 6.35am and 9.30am) will run as normal and will have a festive theme - so make sure you bring your happy faces with you and some festive spirit! The first session back in the New Year will be on Wednesday 2nd January at 5.30am - a perfect way to get back into the swing of things for those doing the open water season, Rottnest and of course the triathlon season too!
Suggested Informal Schedule over the holidays:
For those of you keen to crack on with some training over the holiday period, may I suggest the following (this is just a template, there are more than a few sub-groups within the squad at the moment, each of whom are likely to adjust the times of this program to suit - keep your eyes / ears open for any variations):
- Saturday 22nd December - meet at Claremont Jetty at 7am for a 7.15am start* - use the 2km out & back loop and cover 4 to 12km depending on your program
- Sunday 23rd December - day off or easy swim at Claremont Jetty of 2 to 5km.
- Monday 24th December - challenge yourself to The Red Mist Set
- Tuesday 25th December - meet at Claremont Jetty at 7am for a 7.15am start* - the 10km Christmas Challenge!
- Wednesday 26th December - day off or easy swim at Claremont Jetty of 2 to 5km.
- Thursday 27th December - do a warm-up of ~1-1.5km including a variety of drills and then do the Goldilocks Set
- Friday 28th December - try this easy Stroke Contrast Set to hone your technique
- Saturday 29th December - meet at Claremont Jetty at 7am for a 7.15am start* - use the 2km out & back loop and cover 4 to 12km depending on your program
- Sunday 30th December - day off or easy swim at Claremont Jetty of 2 to 5km.
- Monday 31st December - challenge yourself to The Red Mist Set (try 1s per 100m faster at each level than last week)
- Tuesday 1st January - have a go at this Pace Awareness set and see how you fair
*please note, and earlier group has been meeting for this at 5.30am for a 5.45am start for those who wish to get the swim done and dusted a little earlier.
I hope this is useful for you. I would like to wish you and all of your families a splendid Christmas and a very Happy New Year! Here's to 2013!
Paul, Mish, Jackson and Isla Rose x