Hope you've had a great weekend. The Channel swimming crew are going from strength to strength at the moment with Geoff and Lisa being just 6 weeks away from their respective attempts; Ceinwen, Wayne and Carrol being 8 weeks away; and myself, Paul D and Andrew Hunt being 12 weeks away from our swims. We've been clocking up some big KMs in training and in some pretty cold water too (Lake Leschenaultia was 13.1 degrees for example for our 2h30 swim this last Saturday, and yes, that's without wetsuits!).
As mentioned in a previous email, we are looking to run a 10km Challenge Relay Event in aid of Breast Cancer Care WA on Sunday 10th July at Claremont Pool. Here's how it will work:
- Teams of 4 to 8 people will complete the 100 x 100m relay legs and race against a nominated member of the Channel swimming group who will complete the 10km swim solo...yes, that's 200 lengths of Claremont Pool!
- Date is set for Sunday 10th July between 7am and 10am with a BBQ to follow-up.
- We need 6 teams in total - please email me now to reserve one of the six spots for your team and include everyone's name if you have it at this stage.
- Cost is $195 per team which will go entirely to Breast Cancer Care WA (you are more than welcome to donate more and there will be raffles etc where we aim to raise some more money for this very worthy cause). We will send payment method info to the six teams prior to the event.
- Each team will be allocated a half-lane of the 50m pool and will swim up and down that same side for the entire duration in a relay fashion with only one swimmer in the water at a time. The Channel swimmers will all swim in a single lane in a standard squad-style arrangement, i.e. clockwise.
- It will be lots of fun! Here are some photos from last year's event: http://gallery.me.com/swimsmooth#100143
- Please help us raise some good donations for this cause and help the Channel swimmers raise the awareness of Breast Cancer Care WA!
MacBOOK PRO for Sale:
I might not have got to the stage of selling my body (!) to fund this Channel Swim, but I am selling my 14-mth old 15" MacBOOK Pro laptop if anyone is interested? It's very slick and incredibly cool. Here are the details for the boffins and those interested:
- 15" MacBOOK Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- Upgraded to 8GB of genuine Mac RAM DDR3, plus 500 GB hard-drive
- Running Mac OSX 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard) - all completely re-installed and updated to the latest version of the OS.
- 14-mths old and in A-1 condition having always been used in a hard-shell plastic casing.
- Comes with box and all printed / electronic documentation including install / restore DVDs. Also includes AC wall plug and power cord.
- Features an upgraded factory-fitted matte screen finish, and as such is excellent for outdoor use, cafes etc when the standard glossy screen is too reflective - big bonus!
- Software: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard (includes iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools)
- Also includes iLife '09 (includes iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)
- As with previous models, the MacBook Pro features a precision unibody enclosure crafted from a single block of aluminum, creating a thin and light mobile computing workhorse (less than 1 inch thin and just 5.6 pounds) that's also highly durable. It includes a 15.4-inch matte display as well as a glass trackpad that doesn't include a button (for larger tracking area) that features Apple's Multi-Touch technology. You'll also get up to 7 hours of battery life while on the go.
- Comes complete with iSight web-cam and 8 x DVD/CD Superdrive for watching and burning DVDs and CDs.
- Features 2 x USB ports, Firewire, SD card slot, port for VGA output (presentations etc).
- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256mb graphics card.
- You will have a lot of fun using this laptop!
- Cost just shy of $3,000.00 14-mths ago - will sell for $1,450.00 ono. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Paul on 0431 540 980. Please let any friends, family or colleagues know about it if they might be keen - thanks!